Human Xtensions is a rapidly growing startup, developing breakthrough technology in the field of robotic Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS). We’re looking for an awesome Senior research engineer to join our R&D incubation team.
The HX R&D incubation team is responsible for researching emerging technologies and assessing new product opportunities for the company. The projects initiated in the team are of a highly complex interdisciplinary nature and are the initial phase in the design of future innovative surgical solutions.
As a senior research engineer, you will conduct the initial research phase of potential new products, working closely with the product team and clients to identify the right technological solutions to their needs. The research will include both a technological evaluation, conducting literature review, IP and feasibility studies, and an initial product-market-fit evaluation, generating minimum viable products (MVPs) to test the critical value proposition hypotheses. As the product design progresses, you will be a subject-matter expert (SME) for the identified technology, providing downstream expertise to the entire development team. If you are up for the challenge, don’t miss this opportunity, we’d love to have you on our team.
- Research emerging technologies and scientific principles and investigate their feasibility to enhance MIS capabilities through potential inventions and products.
- Design and conduct ex-vivo and in-vivo studies for relevant technologies
- Test critical product value hypotheses (e.g. bring-up of MVP prototypes, technological feasibility, etc.)
- Conduct relevant scientific literature study, preliminary patent search and consult with relevant SMEs to evaluate potential technologies for the identified surgical need
- Ideate and assess new concepts and solutions based on a solid understanding of technical, regulatory, manufacturing, and clinical requirements
- Conduct concept development evaluation, devise high-level project plan and identify potential project risks
- May participate in development of patent applications
- May prepare research data for publication
- MSc in physics or engineering (mechanical, electrical, biomedical or other related discipline) from a recognized university
- 5+ years of experience in a multi-disciplinary development field
- High analytical skills and fast learning abilities of new fields
- Demonstrated multi-disciplinary research experience
- Knowledge across the entire product development process from concept phase through design and development, design transfer, regulatory submission and approval, and launch
- Basic programming skills (C++, Matlab, Python)
- Basic understanding of clinical and anatomical terms, or capacity to learn them quickly
- Professional experience in the medical device field
- Understanding of clinical, regulatory, and IP pathways
- Basic control of CAD software for prototyping and testing equipment bring-up
- Experience in signal processing, preferably biomedical
- knowledge in biomechanics and electrophysiology
- Experience in conductance of animal studies
- Ability to quickly evaluate solution viability, courage to fail fast and learn from mistakes
- A passion for learning and finding the root cause of complex technical problems
- Ability to excel in a high-energy team and excellent communication skills